Irish Ladies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Irish Ladies

Forum for women playing Ultimate Frisbee in Ireland

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fitness Training

Go down 
+9
Olly
cliodhna
Ciara
Brona
Linda
Heather
Laura
Emer
Liz
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Linda

Fitness Training - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 6:18 am

I finally got to play in a tournament this weekend for the first time in AGES...and I got injured (stupid knee again). Not feeling too bad today and I can walk on it much better than yesterday but I'm out of fitness training for a while. Will see how long it takes me to recover and then think about whether to go from the start again, pick up where I left off, or just join in wherever you guys are by then.

Grrrrr.
Back to top Go down
Brona

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 10:21 am

i did my 5 km this morning!

it was tough, but SOOOOO much easier once i realised that the treadmill was actually in miles and not kilometres and it wasn't actually taking me about 12 minutes to run one kilometre!

had forgotten how ridiculously pink i get though-and how i stay that way for a good hour after!!!

anyway, would it be possible to post the fitness plan on this forum? Under resources maybe?

always good to use the many facets this offers us Wink

brĂ³
Back to top Go down
Brona

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 10:22 am

forgot to say that my 5k (or 3.13 miles) took me just under 36 mins Smile
Back to top Go down
cliodhna

PostSubject: ok   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 8:43 am

so i started!

i went to pilates on monday(very fun with the balls!stomach is still sore today) and went on that stairs thing for 20 mins(treadmill was taken)

today i went to pilates again and then ran outside on the track (treadmills were taken, and it is actually 1000000 times nicer to run outside)i did 10 laps which i think is around 3/4 km.had to stop towards the end cos had chips for lunch and was feeling a little sicky...

but it wasn't as bad as i thought so i will definately aim for more. i didn't look at the time but i think this took me about 20 mins.

also, seeing as today i almost threw up, what is the best thing to eat before fitness and how long before should you eat?

thanks!guess i won't be at 7km just yet, but i'll be trying Smile
Back to top Go down
Heather

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 12:29 pm

Just did trinity fitness training, so very close to puking! pale Was not fun! Im playing on saturday and sunday so gonna do more fitness next week. Really gonna start getting into this more cos my fitness has been crappy lately.
Back to top Go down
Laura

PostSubject: Woohoo!   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 12:35 pm

8km over and done with! Went on the roads around my house in Navan so got some hill action in too. Took me just over 40mins, so glad thats over!

Okay so track work starts next week for all those following last years fitness plan. Do people fancy meeting up for this in say UCD? Any other place? I'd love to just dedicate one evening a week to it if ppl want to do the same? Like say every Friday or Wednesday if we want to get it over and done with? What suits everyone else? Eh Thursday or Monday suits me best but I can work around what suits the majority.

Next week is 2.30min jog, 30s sprint for 30mins and 3x60m and 3x20m sprints.
Back to top Go down
Emer

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 5:00 am

Hey Guys,

I am sorry but I have only read the last couple of posts on this forum. Well done to everyone who is pushing themselves so much! I am not doing any sort of running persay but I will give you a list of what my week looks like:-)
Monday - Kettlebell session
Tuesday - Play tag or relax
Wednesday - Diving (Off a board into a swimming Pool)
Thursday - Kettlebell Session and Badminton for 2-3hours
Friday - Relax
Saturday and Sunday - Train with JC

I have also been sent an ab workout from my kettlebell instructor today (haven't seen it yet though) which I will probably do on my free days. Brona is so right about core being about doing things slowly and correctly. When you are doing any type of core you should be tense every muscle and control your breathing so you are working every possible aspect of your muscles:-)
A tip I was given by my instructor was, if you are going to work on your abs a lot you must also work on your back as well, otherwise you will end up hunched over when the stomach muscles contract. I have seen many guys walking around like this and never knew why... now I know:-)
Back to top Go down
Brona

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 7:44 am

emer, that's a well impressive list! good work lady!

from all my pilates stuff, a good way to ensure you work your back muscles is to engage your pelvic floor muscles, and have your "stomach and spine in neutral" whenever you're doing any ab work. what this means is that you contract your stomach, and tilt your pelvis downards (or back, if that makes sense) so that there's nearly no curve in your back. its very hard to explain without being able to show you, but if anyone is interested in what i mean, ask me next time we see each other and i'll absolutely explain. i am sure laura would also be able to explain this well (her mum's a pilats/yoga instructor).

anyway, i am just back from the gym after running my 6k. it took FOREVER, i am hoping that this is because i have a cold and am finding it difficult to keep my eyes open (and decided that running on a treadmill with my eyes closed was probably not a good idea). forever, is in fact, 42mins 30 secs.

keep it up ladies!

boner
Back to top Go down
Linda

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 3:20 pm

Wow, it's brilliant that so many people are so motivated and really pushing themselves to get fit. We're going to be great this summer Very Happy

If anyone is still interested in being fitter and faster, it's never too late! If you haven't done fitness training before, it's pretty awful...but only really while you're doing it. Afterwards you feel so virtuous and it helps so much on the pitch. Not only does it make you faster but it means you recover much quicker after each cut, game, tournament etc. So join in the fitness sessions in UCD from next week, or work on fitness on your own and post here so that everyone can congratulate you!!!

I'm starting back at fitness this week. Don't have anyone to do track/chase drills etc with so will have to start getting creative once I'm finished the distance running! bounce
Back to top Go down
Laura

PostSubject: back at track   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 12:04 pm

1st track session of the year done, woop woop cheers
Back to top Go down
Heather

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 05, 2009 2:44 pm

Just did the interval training for this week in the gym in Trinity!
Back to top Go down
Linda

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 08, 2009 3:43 pm

Emer and everyone,

Do you know of any good exercises to strengthen your back? Does the core work in the plan work both stomach and back? My posture is bad enough as it is, I don't want to becore more hunched!

Still not sure what's wrong with my knee this time. It might be ligaments but soooo hoping it's not. I can run in a straight line anyway so I started back doing the running after a few weeks out injured. I did the 5km round the park beside my house. I also did the core work this evening - I forgot to time the rest periods but will do next time.

Linda
Back to top Go down
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Heres a good 5min pilates routine for strengthening your back>>
http://www.videojug.com/film/pilates-how-to-strengthen-your-back

Hope this helps!

Laura
Back to top Go down
Laura

PostSubject: Track session 2   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 2:33 am

Heres the nest track session:

Pyramid fartlek
30s, 60s, 90s, 120s, 150s, 180s, 150s, 120s, 90s, 60s, 30s hard striding with 60s recovery in between

Im doing mine in Navan today if anyones around, if not best of luck with it!

Laura
Back to top Go down
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 4:29 am

3min jog 3min hard running for 30mins done this week. Did mine on a treadmill which I found really good for this type of interval session as it forces you to keep jogging after the hard running session. Also you can keep note of your speed and distances. I did my jog on speed 10 and run on speed 14, got 6km out of it in the end which made me happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Linda

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2009 10:12 am

Hello!

Are people still doing fitness? I think Laura and Sparky are - what HIIT are you guys on this week?

I went back the beginning two weeks ago after being out injured for 6 weeks. Have done the 5km and 6km again but I think it's better to just skip ahead to the HIIT now.....although dreading it at the same time silent

Linda
Back to top Go down
Sparky

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 9:19 am

Did the HIIT 7, am on week 11. But didn't do pattern exactly-actually just ran for 25 mins around a pitch, sprinting one of long sides and one of the short sides each time, mostly b/c it was way too silly doing the criss cross pattern on my own, being watched by 3 tag rugby teams. Still need to do the sprints and shuttles for this week.
Back to top Go down
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Im on the same week as Sparky but I still have all mine to do this week. Taking a break this week on gym work as body needs a rest after Paga. Sparky you or anyone else up for some shuttles sat evening in the park??Im in work until 3ish so maybe around 6??Could throw for a bit too!
Back to top Go down
Shiv

PostSubject: week 5   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2009 3:27 pm

I am not really following this that strictly in order to catch up a bit! but just wondering at week 5 when you get to the sprints and HIIT does that mean that you stop doing the 8km runs altogether and just do the sprints/HIIT instead? scratch
Back to top Go down
Liz

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 4:23 am

Yeh, you stop doing those runs. Trust me, the last thing you want to do is run 8km after doing a HIIT!
Back to top Go down
Shiv

PostSubject: running   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptySat May 02, 2009 6:52 am

Cool,

I am not quite that far in the fitness program but ill take your word for it when I get there!
Just wondering too, how are people measuring their distances if you are running outdoors? cos ive just been going more by timing
Back to top Go down
Linda

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2009 7:22 am

I usually use Map My Run http://www.mapmyrun.com/create_new but apparently you can now also use the walking function on Google Maps. I like doing it that way cause you can run different routes and it acts as a bit of a distraction. Other ways to measure are to do it on a treadmill or on a running track.

Although I certainly didn't feel very fit this weekend.... Wink
Back to top Go down
Shiv

PostSubject: Thank you   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2009 3:55 pm

Oh thats cool, thanks a mill Linda. I much prefer running attempting to run outdoors, I find it hard to keep motivated on the treadmill, so boring!
Back to top Go down
Fiona DCU

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2009 9:53 am

I went for a 5km run yesterday and did core and plyos after.

(I thought this needed a bit of a boost with the tournaments coming up...ok really I just wanted to finally get to post up here since I haven't gone for a run in ages! and it felt really good! Very Happy )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fitness Training
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2