Irish Ladies

Forum for women playing Ultimate Frisbee in Ireland

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Starting quickly

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Heather

PostSubject: Starting quickly   Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:27 am

Hmmm wasnt too sure where to put this on the forum... anyways

Just wondering if anyone knows of any fitness/training that helps you build up how quickly you go from standing still to sprinting/running very fast. I realised I am quite slow at starting and so just wondering if anyone knows of anything you can do it improve this.

I explained that very badly, hopefully some will understand what i'm trying to ask.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Liz

PostSubject: Re: Starting quickly   Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:34 am

There's loads of stuff you can do to improve speed, and i think what you mean here is improving your acceleration.

I would say look online for things relating to SAQs (speed, agility and quickness exercises) and that will get you started. Building up leg muscles and the like.

Otherwise, you can do lots of short lengths of sprints, 5,8,10m to try and speed up. It can be annoying to start because you feel like you're only beginning to get speed then it's all over.

Maybe try things like starting facing backwards, starting on knees, starting lying down which are probably more reflective of a game.

Not a great reply, but somewhere to get started anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura

PostSubject: Re: Starting quickly   Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:07 am

Also focusing on technique helps. When starting to run use short and quick strides which help build up speed and then lengthen strides to cover more distance, hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting quickly   

Back to top Go down

Starting quickly
Page 1 of 1