Irish Ladies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Irish Ladies

Forum for women playing Ultimate Frisbee in Ireland

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rules of Ultimate

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Linda

Rules of Ultimate Empty
PostSubject: Rules of Ultimate   Rules of Ultimate EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 5:13 am

I am not a big fan of the rules changing each year, in fact I think it's ridiculous. But that's the way it is and it's obviously NB for every player to be familiar with the latest rule set.

Here are the new rules for 2009. I'm not very good at visualising the changes and the scenarios that would be affected but I know lots of you are so post here and educate me (and everyone else while you're at it)! All of the significant changes listed in the summary are pretty significant alright and will definitely come up again and again in the tournaments we play this year. Also, many of the minor changes don't seem all that minor.

Summary of changes
http://www.wfdf.org/rules/WFDF%20Rules%20of%20Ultimate%202009%20-%20Summary%20of%20Changes.pdf

WFDF Rules of Ultimate 2009
http://www.wfdf.org/rules/WFDF%20Rules%20of%20Ultimate%202009.pdf

Tracked changes from 2008 to 2009 rules
http://www.wfdf.org/rules/WFDF%20Rules%20of%20Ultimate%202009%20-%20Tracked%20Changes.pdf
Back to top Go down
Laura

Rules of Ultimate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules of Ultimate   Rules of Ultimate EmptyWed Mar 11, 2009 10:48 am

These are really big important rule changes girls! I would really recommend looking over them before playing next, for example- There is a new infraction called “Contact” for when the marker touches the
thrower or the disc but not in the act of throwing – this should not be treated as a
foul as it is not affecting possession, but treated as a marking violation.

Also if a time out is called when there are none left it is no longer a turnover, instead 2 is added to the stall count
Back to top Go down
Linda

Rules of Ultimate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules of Ultimate   Rules of Ultimate EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 4:15 am

Some things that I think are worth pointing out from the new rules:

After catching and first contacting the ground but before establishing a pivot foot (ie while reducing speed) if you want to throw, you have to maintain constant contact with the ground throughout the throw. This could affect our give-and-go play and quick offence against a zone.

Reference to distance of 5 meters has been removed from the pick rule. It now reads "closely covering". This might cause hassle as it is harder to define/prove.

Offensive fouls not by the thrower (offensive receiving fouls) only apply to contact before, or during, an attempt to catch the disc. So not contact while cutting etc.

Play does not stop for a travel. Offensive player must go back to the point indicated by the person who called the travel. The stall count stops while the offensive player goes back and must restart with "stalling" or "play on".

Continuation rule only applies if the team that made the call believes that possession has been affected.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Rules of Ultimate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules of Ultimate   Rules of Ultimate EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 4:35 am

Also, I've been making some 'revision'/'updated' notes for myself, so I might as well share them.

Foul
Non incidental contact
Examples: strip, contact by O or D in an attempt to catch the disc, contact by O or D in the act of throwing the disc
Only the player fouled can call it
Defensive foul - uncontested: stall back to 1, contested: resume at max 6
Offensive foul - uncontested/contested: resume max 9

Infraction
Marking or travel breach
Examples: fast count, disc space, straddle, double team, contact (new infraction; see Laura's post), travel
Any opposing player can call an infraction
Play does not stop
Marking breach - first infraction in one stall count: stall back 2 seconds, sencond infraction in same stall count: back to 1
Travel - stall cpunt pauses while thrower goes bac to correct position, resume stall count with "stalling" or "play on"

Violation
Any other breach
Example: pick, if play is obstructed by people/stuff on the sideline, what else is left in this category??
Any opposing player can call a violation
Defensive violation (examples??) - uncontested: stall back to 1, contested: resume at max 6
Offensive violation (examples??) - uncontested: resume max 9, contested: resume max 6

Anybody on the team the call was made against can contest the call (foul, infraction, violation).
It is now stated as good spirit to retract a call that you no longer believe to be merited.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rules of Ultimate Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rules of Ultimate   Rules of Ultimate Empty

Back to top Go down

Rules of Ultimate
Page 1 of 1