Irish Ladies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Irish Ladies

Forum for women playing Ultimate Frisbee in Ireland

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Drills section

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Heather

Drills section Empty
PostSubject: Drills section   Drills section EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 4:00 am

This thread is for people to post about drills: to explain how a drill is carried out, what drill to do to teach a certain aspect of the sport or for people to ask questions about how drills work/are carried out.
Back to top Go down
Fiona DCU

Drills section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drills section   Drills section EmptyMon Oct 19, 2009 4:04 am

http://www.ultimatehandbook.com/blog/

Not an awful lot on drills but the basics like stack are covered with handy flash animations. Other simple drills include the box drill, come-to, huck and read and Luke Skywalker.. There is also leading pass drills, which can be done over short or long ranges. (If anyone wants any of those explained fully just let me know).

Main thing you want to focus on with beginners is throwing, catching and reading.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Drills section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drills section   Drills section EmptyMon Oct 26, 2009 7:50 am

I just remembered this drill yesterday, hadn't done it in ages but I really like it.

Drill: Taurus (I think that's what I've heard it called anyway)

Skills developed: Spacing and pressure for the cup in a zone. Also throwing through the cup.

Setup: Players stand around in a large circle (centre circle of a football pitch is perfect for this if available). Three players in the middle of the circle (these are the cup). One disc.

Players in the circle pass the disc between them. You cannot throw to the person immediately next to you on either side. Cup moves around inside the circle and attempts to get a block. Usually stall count starts on 5.

If the cup gets a block or the thrower throws into the ground or too high over the circle, the thrower goes into the cup and one of the cup becomes part of the circle.

Variations:
-Each thrower must wait for the cup to set up on them before throwing. This makes the throw harder but is more realistic.

-Another way to make it more difficult - you cannot throw to the two closest people to your right or the two closest to your left.

-After a while encourage the cup to experiment with different formations - force one way, force the other, line trap (middle of the cup puts on the force), curved cup, wall etc etc

It's pretty tough physically on the cup so good for conditioning too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Drills section Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drills section   Drills section Empty

Back to top Go down

Drills section
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Irish Ladies :: Irish Ladies :: Info Resource-
Jump to: