Irish Ladies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Irish Ladies

Forum for women playing Ultimate Frisbee in Ireland

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fitness Training

Go down 
+9
Olly
cliodhna
Ciara
Brona
Linda
Heather
Laura
Emer
Liz
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Liz

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyTue Jan 27, 2009 7:16 am

You read right!

Fitness is horrible.

But it also makes you a better player.

And helps your jeans to fit again after not really having any exercise since Cork Open (ahem).

Myself, and a few masochistic others, will be commencing a fitness plan of some description next week with an aim to improve aerobic fitness and muscle strength. As far as I know, much of it will be gym based to prevent running in darkness/rain/cold, though mostly just because it can be run on a treadmill. If enough people are up for it, there is the potential to run some sessions together. Fitness with other people can make you push yourself harder and may even up your enjoyment level (not a guarantee).

Anyway, I'm putting this out there so if people need inspiration to get going on their own plan, or do a similar one, they can come here and be inspired/informed! also, having somewhere to brag about actually doing fitness is good for the soul.

I would highly recommend this to people who want to improve this year. Having the extra fitness really ups your game, especially for cutting and defense (which are pretty important in this sport). In my second year of playing my game improved enormously from regular training and fitness sessions, to the point that I actually ended up scoring a lot of points in open intervarsities that year against boys who just weren't as fast as me. Which was nice. And I believe fitness training helped a tired Irish line in the World Championships to keep on going after a 20 minute point still hadn't ended to score a pivotal point against France (who like smoking) which led to a hugely enjoyable victory.

Think about it.

lizxx

ps. everyone else feel free to leave inspirational stories about how fitness helped them improve. It actually makes it seem less of a chore.
Back to top Go down
Emer

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 7:49 am

I love fitness and believe that this is a great idea.
As fitness came to pretty much a stand still since Worlds ended last August. I started a new fitness plan on my own. Thanks to shoulders I found out about Kettlebell, which is a weights class I go to twice a week. I also took up diving (Off a board into a swimming pool) which helps with balance and strength. I also went back to badminton which was a nice bit easier being fit from frisbee already. I'm only back playing less than 5 months and my team is in the Final of the Dublin league this Saturday so I am well proud of that.
I also train every weekend with Johnny Cimpo which started 5 weeks ago. I go running when I can but it is not as much as before.

If anyone wants any information on any of the above let me know.

Well you said brag Liz so I did Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laura

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Fitness   Fitness Training EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 11:46 am

Myself and Sparky are starting last years fitness plan next week. Im also doing kettlebells twice a week which work the core and legs so Im going to stick with this instead of core work and incorporate plyometrics later on in the season. By starting fitness next week we get right up until the middle of July, it covers all tournaments we may enter basically. If your interested in doing this plan/checking it out I can e-mail it to you. It starts out with a 5k run/jog next week so if you wanna join myself or sparky let us know! The more the merrier!! Unsure of a day and venue yet, will let you know...

Laura
Back to top Go down
Heather

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 12:31 pm

Id be up for doing the fitness plan but dont know how often i could meet up. We do fitness stuff at training as well so might be wreked after that. Maybe when ever you decide a time and day that your going to do it on a certain week post up here and people can go if they want to and are free.

Did fitness yesterday and feel great today. Ah ya gotta love a bit of fitness!!
Back to top Go down
Linda

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 5:59 am

This is a great idea - I've been finding it hard to motivate myself recently but if others are doing it my compettive instincts will kick in!

I really want to cut lots this year so will need to be a lot fitter than I am at the moment....

Laura/Liz/anyone else, could you post at the start of the week to let everyone know what your doing and when you're planning on doing it? Then others can join you or do the sessions on their own.

And then we can all congratulate each other/ourselves :-P

I will also email the fitness docs from last summer out to Irish Ladies so that everyone can have a copy.

Yay...looking forward to being able to play a tournament without dying!
Back to top Go down
Laura

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: First week of fitness   Fitness Training EmptyMon Feb 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Hey,

Seeing as Im stuck in a snow drift in Wicklow I decided to do my 5km run in the gym, it took 26mins ranging from speed 10-14. Also did upper body kettlebell work.Will do lower body work on Wed and upper again on Friday. Good luck to everyone starting fitness! Its worth the pain!!

Laura x
Back to top Go down
Brona

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 3:59 am

i like fitness.
running makes me happy in a long term way.

Liz and Sparky, perhaps you could post on a weekly basis what it is you are covering that week? Also, if you are meeting at a certain time and place to do it, or focusing on gym?

That way, anyone can either come join you, or can work on what you are doing themselves, but feel like they're working with you!

thanks!

Brona
Back to top Go down
Liz

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 10:32 am

Just to clarify:

This weeks fitness is 5km run/jog (prob more jogging that running!). This is according to the fitness plan Linda sent to the group. There are also a lot of exercises to do. I'm only going to do core work as found the leg work disagreed with my wonky knees.

For next few weeks the distance increases: 6km, 7km, 8km. I'll be doing mine each week in the gym, starting off with 5km tomo in dcu gym!
Back to top Go down
Ciara

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: fitness   Fitness Training EmptyWed Feb 04, 2009 2:48 pm

As part of my plans to get back playing as soon as possible, i'm in the gym every second day now. I'm limited in what i can do for the moment till my physio lifts the restrictions he's set! so at the moment I'm doing 5 min slow warm up jog, 20 mins at 9km/hr then 5 minute warm down on the treadmill. The weight machines in the gym are amazing for building up your leg and hip muscles. And even 15 mins on the cross trainer after your run is a great way to push your cardio

I'll join the normal fitness routine as soon as I can Smile
Back to top Go down
Heather

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 6:16 am

I did the core work on Tuesday in the gym in trinity. Went to go do the 5k run on the treadmill but they were all taken. Planned on doing it today but i am shockingly hungover so might leave it until tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Liz

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 8:03 am

Did my 5km today and almost died. Seems like fitness couldn't come too early for me!

Did it in just under 29 mins. Felt faint after, but I had only eaten a cereal bar beforehand. Not recommended.

By the way, Niall got a new Speed, Agility and Quickness drills book yesterday which has some good drills i might take to replace the boring ones we do every single week in fitness plan at the moment. More turning and reaction time stuff.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 2:23 am

OH MY GOD!...That was so hard! I had visions of myself losing all control of my legs and flying backwards off the treadmill! And I didn't even do it that fast - 32.5 mins, mostly at 10km/h. The good thing though is that I would have definitely given up halfway through if it wasn't for this thread - if everyone else can do it surely I can too?!?! Hehe

I did the 5km last night in the gym. And then went straight to a work karaoke night with an incredibly red face. Very embarassing Embarassed

For anyone who hasn't done fitness before, or is starting back after a long break don't forget:

-Eat some carbs 1-2hours before the session
-**NB** Eat AS SOON AS POSSIBLE (max 45mins) after the session. Preferably carbs and protein. This is key to building up your strength and stamina over time.

Unfortunately this doesn't make it EASY, but it does help a little in the short term, and a lot in the long term.

Looking forward to next week already....
Back to top Go down
Linda

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyTue Feb 10, 2009 3:35 am

So it's 6km this week, I guess...bring it on!

I'm not doing the core/leg work from the plan either, but have been doing my physio programme, which is mostly core work and weights for my legs, once a week since the end of the summer. Also do a 6km walk once a week and play frisbee maybe once every two weeks. I feel like a complete slob though because pretty much every second that I'm not doing those things I'm gorging on chocolate, chips and beer....
Back to top Go down
Brona

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 7:44 am

i'm a bit behind so am just starting the 5k this week, not looking forward to it!

Just a note on core, for anyone who's reading this and getting a bit scared. Feel free to add or contradict me if anyone wants!

Having core strength means having good stomach, leg and back muscles. Having good core helps your body do things better, and with stronger muscles you are less prone to injury. The best way to do core is slow and steady. Its not about doing 100 sit-ups as fast as possible-you actually get more benefit doing 30 sit-ups really well, that is using your breath and engaging your muslces correctly and to their fullest extent.

There are lots of good ways to do core, and they don't have to be boring or intimidating. Laura likes her kettle balls, and personally, (as most of you know given that how I make you stretch if I'm captaining!) I am a fan of Yoga and Pilates, both of which are completely core based. I like classes the most as when someones telling me what to do I won't stop until they say I can! But once you know what you are doing its very easy to do it by yourself. With this, I do one hour a week, some people like to break it up into 10-15mins every morning. I've read a number of sports related articles about the growing popular use of both yoga and pilates for the benefits of core in GAA, soccer and other sports, so if don't believe me you can listen to them Smile

Classes are offered all over the place. Check your university for a yoga society as these are cheap cheap, your gym probably offers them too, or if you want some suggestions on yoga studios let me know!
Back to top Go down
Laura

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: phew!   Fitness Training EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 2:09 pm

Just did this weeks fitness. Set myself a goal of 1km per 5 mins, nearly died but finished 6km on the button of 30mins. Sooooo tough! Forgot how tough this was! Also did a kettlebell session for the lower body, have another 2 planned before the end of the week. Also gonna try get some spinning in tomorrow evening, cant wait to be fit again!
Back to top Go down
Liz

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 10:12 am

yeh Laura is so unfit now running 6km in 30 mins!

Did my 6km yesterday, found it much easier going than the 5k for some reason. Started at 10km/h and moved up speed after every km which i found a good way to challenge myself. I lost track of my time as i pressed the cool down button by mistake in the middle, but was prob around 33-35 mins as started at about 1km every 6 mins. did the last 2km in 10.5 mins which i was very happy with.

Loving "We made it" by Linkin Park/Busta Rymes as my running tune. Was a Fiona Mernagh pick.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 7:29 am

I also found it much easier this week, I even kind of enjoyed it. My theory was that it was because I did it at the weekend this time rather than going straight after work...but if you found it better too Liz - we must be getting fitter already!

Is anyone else doing the plan? It's going to be pretty hard on my ego if I only have Liz and Laura's times to compare with!!

Did it in 35 minutes this time. My aim was to do the whole thing at 10km/h, with none of the moments of weakness that I had last time round. Turned out to be very do-able and I did the last kilometer at 12km/h. Did core and leg work yesterday.

PS The emoticons on this forum are cool cyclops
Back to top Go down
cliodhna

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: fitness   Fitness Training EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 am

this forum is such a good idea!and yes, the emoticons are cool Very Happy

but yes, i'm happy that others want to do fitness again(i only joined now, so didn't know before) and happy that it will keep me at least a little motivated when i know that others are doing it aswell.

so i'm in greece now, and the food is maybe a little too good and there is no frisbee:(i checked.am sad i'm not around for bruges and training even.serious lack of sport is making me get very fidgety bounce

so yes, running it is...i've finally gotten a student card now so i can go to the gym so i will let you know how i do.and hopefully i won't die.

but keep up this thread Smile
Back to top Go down
Olly

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 7:22 am

I'm planning to join this plan at some time but at the moment doing fitness for open intervarsities once a week with UCD which is usually about 8km mixed between hard running, sprints and jogging. it's great because we do it in a group. you gotta pay €200 in UCD to join the gym so I don't have access to treadmills, which makes it harder for the distance runs you guys are doing at the moment, outdoors alone doesn't sound enticing and it's hard to guage distance and speeds. gonna start doing the core stuff though.
Back to top Go down
Heather

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:13 am

Im kinda the same as Olly, doing fitness training with trinity. Havnt been able to go in the past week or two because of college classes but hoping to get there more often and if not im gonna go with whatever is happening with this fitness plan. Have been doing the core work though..... Abs of steal here i come!!
Back to top Go down
Linda

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 5:26 am

Olly - nice to hear that UCD are taking intervarsities seriously for a change Wink
Back to top Go down
Olly

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 5:44 am

Ok does anyone want to explain these ones?!

1. Double Crunch
2. T Pushup (normal girl pushups i guess?)
4. Alt superman
5. Air Bike Crunch
Back to top Go down
Linda

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 7:00 am

Double crunch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hll-5TMOhdM

T pushup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prjoen96yjA

Alt superman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqZwPLruTjM
But without the ball. To balance, you can either put one foot and opposite forearm on the ground or else one hand and opposite knee to foot bot not whole forearm and whole lower leg - too easy!)...if that makes any sense...

Air bike crunch (these are actually quite fun):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXEIODBjyf8

Ps I think we should video each other doing the core work and put it on youtube...would be much funnier!
Back to top Go down
sj

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: fit-mess   Fitness Training EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 am

wow. played limerick last weekend and it really took it out of me!!! i miss being fit. I'm on week 2 of fitness plan gona leave it as late as possible to do this weeks as i'm still wreckd but FAO Linda i did the 5k in 26mins 35 secs-i hate running on a treadmill!
Back to top Go down
Laura

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: 7k   Fitness Training EmptySun Feb 22, 2009 2:12 am

Just did my 7k on the beach in Bettystown, had to run up and back so on the way up I ran on the flat sand and the way back I ran on the dunes which meant lots of ups and downs and deeper sand. Think it took me about 40mins this time
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fitness Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fitness Training   Fitness Training Empty

Back to top Go down

Fitness Training
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next